Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Godhi(Wheat flour) dosa and peanut chutney - delectably addictive combination

Do you all agree marriages expand horizons including those of culinary kind? When families come together as part of a marriage, there is so much sharing that goes on. I got to taste the Godhi dosa for the first time after my sister got married, it was a very common dinner item at her in-laws place that it actually had a name - 'GoDoKaCha', one of my BIL's smart commentaries :-). GoDoKaCha is an acronym derived from Go(Godhi/Wheat), Do(Dosa), Ka(Kadlekayi/peanuts) and Cha(Chatney). I remember all of us gaping when my BIL and his siblings decided to make GoDoKaCha for dinner one day and only realized the delicious combination when we sat down for dinner. Akka's FIL used to eat cooked greens (mostly spinach)with this as a side and I am hooked to that combination as well. Though I don't cook spinach every time, Godhi Dosa and peanut Chutney is a standard combination in my kitchen. Both are easy and quick to fix and delicious when eaten together.

As you might tell, I favor thin dosas (not necessarily crisp but just thin) so all my dosa pictures usually show a thin dosa. I will have some notes to make thicker dosas and you can follow these pointers if that is your preference. Godhi dosa typically turns out soft just because of the wheat flour in it unless you roast it with a lot of oil.

I consider Godhi dosa a very good and easy alternative to chapatis/rotis. If you are a beginner and looking for a healthy, sumptuous meal, this is for you. This does not need any fermentation and you can expand the basic batter with any flavor with only your creativity to limit/set boundaries. It doesn't have to be accompanied by the peanut chutney but I am sure you will be hooked once you try the combination :-). DD is so addicted to this combination that she will make an instant chutney with the peanut powder I always keep in stock if we are too tired to make fresh chutney, another time on the instant chutney perhaps?
What do you need to make Godhi dosa? 
Makes about 4-5 regular size dosas
1 cup whole wheat flour/regular chapati flour
1 Tsp rice flour
2.5 cups water
1 Tsp salt (adjust to taste)
1 Tsp mustard seeds
1/2 Tsp red chili powder (optional but recommended)
1 Tblsp finely chopped cilantro/coriander leaves
1-2 Tsp oil to fry dosa

How do you make Godhi Dosa? 
  • Take a big vessel, add all the ingredients except for water and mix them well. 
  • Add water slowly into the vessel and mix into a batter of pouring consistency without any lumps.
  • Heat a dosa pan/griddle on medium high. 
  • Pour a ladle of batter and move it quickly into a circle (thickness depends on your preference). I usually do not work it a lot but let the batter find its way and just do a gentle move of the pan.
  • Drizzle a couple of drops of oil around the dosa, let it cook for a minute before flipping it over with a spatula.
 
  • Let the other side cook for 30-45 seconds. 
  • Serve it hot off the griddle with peanut chutney (<Grin>, ok I will give you a break, you can eat this dosa with any other chutney of your choice)
 
  • Repeat for the remaining batter and enjoy the hot Dosas.
What do you need to make peanut chutney?
The below ingredients make a slightly spicy, tangy and sweetish peanut chutney. Adjust the spices to suit your palate. 
1 cup peanuts
3-4 dry red chilies (adjust to taste)
Small piece of tamarind or 1/2 Tsp tamarind concentrate
1/2 Tsp cumin seeds
1 Tsp salt (adjust to taste)
1 Tsp crushed jaggery or brown sugar
2 cups water
Seasoning: 
1 Tsp oil
1/2 Tsp mustard
1/2 Tsp cumin (optional)
1/4 Tsp Asafoetida powder
How do you make peanut chutney? 
  • Roast the peanuts well until the raw smell disappears (you can do either the stove top or the microwave method), keep aside.
  • Roast the red chilies for a minute in the hot pan, switch off and add the tamarind and cumin seeds. 
  • Let the ingredients cool off before taking them to the blender with salt and jaggery. 
  • Grind into a smooth paste with water.
  • Heat the oil, add ingredients under seasoning, let the mustard crackle before adding the sizzling seasoning into the chutney. 
Notes: 
  • Some suggestions for making Godhi dosa more interesting - Add cumin, ajwain, finely chopped green chilies, curry leaves or onions, any combination or each on its own will provide a different flavor. 
  • Notice that I have added raw mustard, it will get cooked on the hot pan along with the dosa and you get a nice crunchy bite and flavor when you eat it. 
  • I do not cover the Godhi dosa while it is cooking, this along with the oil drops helps it develop some crispy parts which I love. 
  • If you prefer soft dosas, cover the pan with a lid after you drizzle oil and let it cook for a minute before turning it over. The moisture that forms inside the cover helps the dosa to become soft. 
  • Peanuts can be roasted in microwave by spreading them a wide MW safe dish, you will need to try out the timings on your device as it depends on the power settings. Mine usually takes 4 MW runs of 3-2-1-1 minute. 
  • I add the tamarind to the hot pan so it softens up a little and will be kinder to the blender :-)
  • Cumin gets roasted very quickly, add it only after you switch the stove off and it will be just done right.

9 comments:

chef and her kitchen said...

I make this dosa too,sometimes I add bit of rice flour as I like my dosas crisp..I add jeera n coriander leaves thats it..never tried with raw mustard..next try i would try ur combo,with peanut chutney...;)

Priya Suresh said...

Even i love this combo,wheat dosa and peanut chutney both makes me hungry.

NamsVeni Pothas said...

godi dose with peanut chuney . wow. very good combination.very tasty. easy preparation.

Prema said...

wow wonderful combo,pls pass the plate...

Vani said...

OK, now I HAVE to make this peanut chutney your way :) I like the crispiness in this godhi dosa.

Unknown said...

Prathibha - Let me know how you liked the variation and btw thanks for the reminder about rice flour, I add a Tsp of it too for the same purpose. Yesterday, I was struggling with the blogger as it wouldn't let me upload pictures, lost patience and didn't do a good job of proof reading :-), I have updated the post. Thanks again.

Vani - Let me know if you likes the combo :-)

Kannada Cuisine said...

Super combo..i love it

Daksha said...

Wow!! I like peanut chutney and also dosa.... that make me hungry..

Vijay said...

I tried it and was great.. Thanks for the post..